Thursday, June 30, 2011

Summer Skin by Sara

This would be my 3rd week back home and here's a little rundown on what I've accomplished: 
-baked banana muffins and biscotti
-went to a classy party
-made a thousand trips to Trader Joes (perk of free coffee and soy creamer!)
-Starbucks (I have yet to try the Captain Crunch, German chocolate, and smores flavors that they have exclusively at the one near my house but when I do I shall report back!)
-library
-currently watching the Hills, Psych and the O.C. on Netflix (seriously how did I not notice that Mischa Barton can't act?!)
-Scarsdale diet (no bread, whatever, I just miss my peanut butter puffins and granola and almond milk. and Menchies)
-lots of driving (new car holllaaa)
So all in all, a pretty chilll summer thus far. Today, my mom dragged me downtown to a Robert Rodriguez sample sale and I got a tank top and jacket (even though it's like 90 degrees right now). I hate sample sales; honestly I'd rather pay full price and not deal with the crazy racks and women, but my mom likes them and she is the one paying so I just go along. Afterwards I decided to use up the piece of ginger in our refrigerator and made some ginger cookies which are actually really good! They have a ton of spice in them and don't have any butter at all, so aside from the egg, are vegan too!
these are some pretty berries that I had for lunch earlier in the week, maybe I'll make some turnovers in the spirit of 4th of July next week!
this dough is delicious
I only used a little bit of lemon zest, so I think I'll try adding more next time

Ultimate Ginger Cookies - recipe by Barefoot Contessa, slightly modified by me
2 1/4 cup flour
1 tsp. baking soda
2 tsp. ground cinnamon
1 1/2 tsp. ground clove
1/2 tsp. ground nutmeg
1/2 tsp. ground ginger
1/4 tsp. kosher salt
1 cup brown sugar
1/4 cup vegetable oil
1/3 cup unsulfured molasses
1 egg, room temp
1 tbsp. fresh grated ginger
zest of half a lemon

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. In large bowl, mix flour, baking soda, cinnamon, cloves, nutmeg, ground ginger, and salt. In a separate bowl/electric mixer, beat brown sugar, oil, molasses, grated ginger, lemon zest on medium speed for 5 minutes. Turn mixer to low and add egg and then beat for 1 minute. Scrape bowl and beat for another minute. While mixer is still on low, gradually add in the dry ingredients and then mix on medium for 2 minutes. Roll small balls with your hands (about 1 3/4 inches) and put on baking sheet lined with parchment paper and flatten lightly with your hands. Bake for exactly 13 minutes. The cookies will be cracked on top and soft inside. Let cool on sheets for 1-2 minutes and then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely. 

No comments:

Post a Comment