Sunday, July 10, 2011

I have finally unpacked everything! It only took a month. Oh wait, I have a suitcase full of scarves, but no matter, the important summer stuff is out of the way. Since I last posted I've gone to Cardio Barre 4 times (gotta get bikini ready for my upcoming trip to Hawaii) and today my best friend and I walked 7 miles round trip to the Marc Jacobs store. I was profusely sweating and ended up with a really attractive purse strap tan. My 4th of July was spent at my friend Sam's house and included lots of Beer Pong and an outing to Jons Market.

I baked a pretty bomb cake for my mom's birthday, it was vanilla with strawberry frosting and I got it out of Bon Appetit magazine.

My friend Skyler and I made tie dye shirts a couple day ago and they turned out surprisingly well. They are also red, white and blue so I guess we'll be festive for Bastille Day or something. I also went to MOCA with my mom to see a show on graffiti which was sooooo tight.



Like I said I walked so far today and now I feel like marrying my pillow. Tomorrow I will possibly go to Costco, my bff's modeling agency and then hiking. Assuming I'm not too sore. Adios for now!
xoxo Sara

Recipe for cake adapted from J. Morgan's Steakhouse in Montpelier, VT:
12 servings (this is a full recipe but I halved it)
• 3 cups cake flour
• 3/4 tsp. salt
• 1/2 tsp. baking powder
• 1/2 tsp. baking soda
• 3 cups sugar
• 1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, room temp
• 7 eggs
• 2 tbsp. vanilla 
• 1 cup sour cream (I used greek yogurt b/c that's what I had)
Frosting:
• 2 8 oz. packages cream cheese, room temp
• 1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, room temp
• 4 cups powdered sugar
• 1 cup pureed strawberries*
• 6 fresh strawberries* 
• 3/4 cup chilled heavy whipping cream*
*note: original recipe calls for 1/2 cup seedless strawberry jam instead of fresh/pureed and the most recent time I made this cake I left out the whipped cream, although it's delicious either way. 
-Using an electric mixer, beat cream cheese & butter till smooth. Beat in sugar, then jam (or fresh/pureed berries) Beat cream in medium bowl till peaks form. Fold whipped cream into frosting. Cover; chill till firm enough to spread, about 2 hours. 
-Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Butter and flour two 9 inch cake pans with 2 inch high sides. Sift flour, salt, baking powder, baking soda in bowl. Using electric mixer, beat sugar and butter till fluffy. Add eggs 1 at a time. Beat in vanilla. Add in sour cream; beat 30 seconds. Add flour mixture in 3 additions. Divide batter between pans. 
-Bake cakes till tester comes out clean, about 50 minutes. Cool in pans on rack 10 minutes. Run small sharp knife around sides then turn onto racks and cool completely. 
-Using large serrated knife, cut each cake horizontally in half. Place 1 cake half, cut side up, on plate. Spread 2 tbsp. strawberry jam over, then 3/4 cup of frosting. (I used fresh sliced strawberries instead of jam). Repeat 2 more times with cake layer, jam, frosting. Top with remaining cake layer, cut side down. Spread frosting all over sides, top. Cover and refrigerate. 
NOTE: this is a really large cake so be prepared! When I halved it, I didn't even cut the cake in half, but it just depends on personal preference, it will be good no matter what! Also I decreased frosting by over half and I still had extra, just saying. 
Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment