Wednesday, August 10, 2011

Party Preparations! *recipe included*

And so we have another week sans macbook. Luckily, Maximum has been so kind as to lend me his so that I don't fall too far behind Sara's bi-daily (is that the term for every other day) adventure updates.

First though, I should say that I'm very sad to have missed the Nutella cookies and hope to be able to replicate them up here in Seattle. Also, I had a dream that I received some in the mail from Sara, and they were delicious.

Luckily my infrequent post does not equal missing out on lots of cool stories. I mean, there are some interesting stories from my work, but I don't think it's legal to tell them. Sorry :(

The exciting bits from the past week revolved primarily around one of my best high school friends coming to visit. She was not, however, available on Friday, so Max and I helped his best friend Ethan celebrate his last weekend in Seattle. These festivities consisted of yummy Banana Leaf Thai food, lemon Skittles jello shots (which the two of them worked very hard on all day), and many many delicious beverages with many attempted toasts to Katey for no apparent reason. A solid Friday evening.

I somehow managed to awaken for early morning (and by that I mean 9 AM) espresso (much needed) with Marguex, the aforementioned friend. We stopped at a cute (ish) little French place on Capitol Hill. Not le Fournil, but I had a very espresso is espresso type of mentality.

I then had to dash off to lunch at Ivar's with Maximum's family. A beautiful view, lots of indecision about what to eat that resulted in the classic fish and chips, and just as we were leaving the Blue Angels flew over (it's a Seafair tradition...Seafair is like this thing where people with boats go out on the water or something and I still don't really understand the rest).

I met up with Marguex and her sister, and we attempted to go to Cafe de Lion. The cafe has, however, been closed for like EVER since a death in the family and the reopening date is tbd. So we went with Fremont Coffee (Sara's been there!) instead where I had Mexican Coke! Much yummier sugar. I think the trick is that it's real.

Then we decided that some mimosas and guacamole were in order down by the lake. We improvised a bit by smashing an avocado in a cup and adding salsa, but it was delish. The evening concluded with Maria (Marguex's sister) and I grabbing a vegan chocolate chip cookie from Starlife on the Oasis Cafe, and then my meeting up with Max and Ethan for a really strange movie during which I fell asleep.

Sunday! Sunday began with breakfast at Gallerias (Marguex, Maria, etc.). Yummy. and Extra Yummy because while you wait for brunch you get to have cake and yogurt and fruit and granola from a buffet. Very incredible. Then we moved on to the Fremont market, always always a good time (highlight = you can grow mushrooms in a box!). Next was getting ice cream (Molly Moon's of course!) and swimming on Mercer Island (well in the water next to it)! The evening ended with some homemade ravioli (no recipe but delicious) and some not homemade pizza.

All in all a successful weekend, but what I'm most excited about is the weekend ahead! My friend Laura and I are preparing for our garden party! It's always a fabulous time with wonderful treats! I bought flowers today at Pike Place about which I am quite enthused for sure.

A fun bouquet, dahlias, and sunflowers oh my!!!! 

Also, here's a sneak peek at one of the things we'll be serving:

Note: This is Martha Stewart's recommendation for Strawberry Hand Pies, but we plan to make a variety of flavors :)

Ingredients

  • 1 1/2 cups strawberries, hulled and cut in half or quarters, depending on size
  • 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
  • 1 tablespoon cornstarch
  • All-purpose flour, for work surface
  • 1/2 recipe Pate Brisee for Strawberry Hand Pies
  • 1 large egg, lightly beaten
  • Sanding sugar, for sprinkling

Directions

  1. Preheat the oven to 425 degrees. Line a baking sheet with a Silpat (a French nonstick baking mat). In a medium bowl, add strawberries, sugar, and cornstarch; stir to combine, set aside.
  2. On a lightly floured work surface, roll dough into a large rectangle, about 1/8 inch thick. Using a 5-inch cookie cutter, cut out 6 rounds. Transfer rounds to prepared baking sheet.
  3. Place about 2 tablespoons of the strawberry mixture onto one-half of each round. Lightly brush egg around the edge of the covered half of each round. Fold remaining dough over to enclose, forming a half moon. Gently press edges together to seal. Brush the tops of each pie with egg. Using a paring knife, slash the top of each pie. Sprinkle generously with sanding sugar.
  4. Bake until golden brown, 20 to 25 minutes. Transfer pies to a wire rack to cool slightly before serving. Or let cool completely, and store in an airtight container at room temperature up to 4 days.
    Try it for your own Garden Party! 
    That's all for now but party pictures will be on the way along with our other recipes! Have fabulous weekends and keep enjoying August! 
    xoxo
    Katey

No comments:

Post a Comment