Wednesday, October 12, 2011

The Great Pumpkin (Desserts)

It's been a little over a week since I last updated and the reason for that is there is simply not that much going on in my life right now, sad as that may be. Actually, I'm sort of glad because I think I'm coming down with a cold/flu/some type of sickness that's being passed around. It probably has to do with the up and down of the temperatures this past week (I never know when to wear shorts or jeans or long sleeved shirts or tank tops!). I mentioned last time that my uncle came back into town and my mom and I ended up driving to Torrance to see him and get Chinese food with our family. We also treated ourselves to lunch the next day at Le Pain Quotidien (sooo good) and I got gazpacho, a cappucino and shared an apricot almond tart with my mom.


Last Thursday, my painting teacher had a representative from Golden Paints come and talk to us (for 2 hours...) and even though I almost fell asleep, it was worth it because we got cool paint and gel samples! I was also fortunate enough to win a giveaway at http://www.francisfoodie.com/ (he actually lives in Seattle!) and I got the most delicious homemade apple butter! It seriously tastes so good I've been eating it straight out of the jar...
On Friday I watched Son of Rambow (Ed Westwick is in it! and a really cute story with cute accents) and then baked some fat-free vegan pumpkin bread (so my entire family could eat it) from this random site. I definitely had to experiment because I didn't have egg replacer, but found a source online that said I could substitute corn starch for the eggs, so I went with that (I would have opted for flax seeds + water but I couldn't find them in my house). 
I was quite surprised that the bread turned out incredibly moist and delicious! I picked up the apple sauce flavor and all of the spices in it and I would recommend it to anyone who is vegan or fat free or just wants some semi-healthy pumpkin bread. After baking, I was bored and it was a beautiful day outside so I walked over to the park to read and enjoy the fresh air and sunshine. I felt slightly creeper-ish sitting at a park  near the playgrounds but that's the only area with benches so I had no other choice. Luckily, the parents didn't pay attention to me because I was a harmless girl in an AA dress, Ray Bans, and floral Docs reading "The Power of the Actor" (DON'T JUDGE), so clearly, I'm too self-obsessed to kidnap another person. When my sister came home from school, we and her friend, David, went to Menchies (seems to be our Friday ritual) and I got pistachio, strawberry, and peach. David went to his girlfriend's house and Anna and I went to American Apparel so she could use her seasonal clothing allowance to get clothes for work. I helped her pick out a cute purple button down crop top (that I wanted so scooore) and some cranberry colored jeans. I also dropped off a resume and I have an interview on Monday, cross your fingers/wish on a star for me! For dinner, my dad, sister and I went to Hugo's, a healthy restaurant that is open to all your health/allergy issues (gluten free, vegan, vegetarian, oil free options of different food). I got some chamomile-vanilla tea and squash, spinach, corn, other veggie soup that was perfect for the chilly Friday evening and tasted exquisite. 
On Saturday morning, I got my sister to come to yoga, where we got more ThinkThin Bars and a free class at a studio in Burbank. I sat around all day until 4ish when I convinced my mom to go to Micheals so I could look at the Halloween decorations. We came home and made a veggie soup for dinner with vegetable stock, yukon gold potatoes, purple potatoes, celery, zucchini, peas, carrots, onions, and butternut squash plus a bounty of herbs and spices. And it totally rocked. I really want to make it again! At 9:30ish, Sasha and Audrey picked me up to go to our friend Kara's birthday party.  The party was basically a middle school reunion, which was both weird and nostalgic but really good to see everyone and catch up. I was mostly outside on the sidewalk (smoking section, not for me but everyone else still smokes ciggs) and playing with Sami's dog. 
On Sunday, I walked to the farmers market by myself (my dad went to some Bike LA event downtown with his friend) and blindly selected sweet potatoes, pluots, a peach and figs. I ran into a friend that works there and sort of re-met another person who happens to work at Menchies and promised me free yogurt if I come in during his shift! Anna picked me up (it had gotten hot by this time, so thank god I didn't have to walk back) and we went to Costco with our mom so Anna could buy junk food for the student store. Side note: they have pumpkin pies at Costco, which are my favoriteee.
When we came home, I wanted to use some more of the pumpkin that I opened for the bread so I made pumpkin cookies
I didn't make the frosting (partly because I don't like making frosting and partly because we didn't have any more butter or cream cheese in the house) but they still turned out tasty. They're not that sweet, which makes them perfect in the morning in place of a muffin with a cup of coffee or tea. The recipe also tells you to flatten them and sprinkle sugar, which I also ignored but next time I will try it with this vanilla sugar we have in the pantry. I gave most of them to my dad to take to work and he texted me on Monday saying that they were a huge hit and that apparently they made some girl's day better. All nice to hear but slightly embarrassing because I didn't think they were THAT good.
My mom and I decorated for Halloween on Monday (so exciting!) and transformed our coffee table and fireplace with candles, lots and lots of skulls, rats and tombstones. We also put up a black wreath, a crucified looking skeleton and glittery spiders on our front door. I love decorating for Halloween because it's the beginning of the Fall season/my favorite time of the year and means that more goodness is on the way. 
Tuesday, I went to school to find that class was cancelled (mixed feelings on that again) so I went home, ate leftover salad and hung out with AJ and Justin. I've been feeling heavy headed and tired and had a sore throat all day but in painting I felt like I was going to pass out or throw up (or both?). My teacher was demonstrating and I didn't listen to anything she said because I had to go sit down and concentrate on where the nearest restroom was. I also started sweating, which was gross and strange but when we were excused and told to paint, I felt much better (well, the same as earlier but not about to die). 
This morning, I woke up at 7:30 because my dog was barking, which made me upset because I don't feel good and couldn't go back to sleep. I looked at the weather for today and apparently it's supposed to be in the 90's (yay for living in a desert). I'm going to go to TJ with my mom so I can get some free coffee (hopefully it's pumpkin spice like last time!) and later on, to class. And after that I have to paint 2 pictures because I didn't do any work yesterday. This weekend will be fuller so I'll be busy with lots to do!
On another note, I'm still trying to decide on a Halloween costume. I'm between the Cheetos cheetah and Eloise right now although I wish that I had enough people to do Glee. I was also thinking about Black Swan but I gave that idea to my sister, which narrows down my options. I better hurry up and decide so I can get cracking on making a costume!


xoxo Sara

No comments:

Post a Comment