Monday, November 14, 2011

For Xander

I apologize for all of the sad news lately, I don't want it anymore than you. Yesterday, 2 of my friends got in an accident involving their motorcycles, and one of them is one of my closest friends, Xander. Ben is injured but conscious and Xander was unconscious yesterday and paralyzed from the waist down. I don't have too much information but I think doctors were trying to determine if he had internal bleeding or anything of that nature and hopefully he will go into surgery today and be walking again soon! Xander is very determined and if anyone can get through this, it's him. 
The weirdest thing is that Lena and I drove by the accident site (before we knew anything) earlier in the day and I didn't think much of it, other than think some crazy shit must have gone down due to the 4 police cars and a fallen motorcycle in the middle of the intersection. And that morning, Lena and I were talking to our friend Jesse and Niccolo about motorcycles and we mentioned  Xander's in particular at one point. The information is just starting to hit me right now. Last night, it just didn't seem real and I couldn't believe that it happened. 
I want to go visit him in the hospital, even if he can't hear me. And even just to go see his parents and girlfriend. 
OH and another weird/strange coincidence: Last night, my mom and I were coming back from walking our dog and this thing (that I thought was a cat) ran across my front yard when it heard us coming towards the bushes. I saw it's striped tail and couldn't believe that it was a raccoon! It stopped and looked back at me for like 20 seconds before disappearing from view. This is relevant BECAUSE Xander and I always had a thing for raccoons. Ever since 11th grade. And here was one, just out of the blue, (we hardly ever see them by my house, much less my front yard) looking at me! Call it whatever you want, a sign, coincidence, but it has to mean something, right? Even if it's just to comfort me, I'll take what I can get. 
Niccolo and I were talking about making some kind of card, maybe a huge canvas (so he can hang it up or use it as art later on) to paint/draw on and let everyone who wants to, sign it. I really hope we can do it. I will make time out of my crazy homework schedule because he's my friend and it's important to me. 
Another note: I never thought this situation would come up in my life again, or at least this soon. 3 years ago, my friend Kenza was crossing the street, a car ran a red light, and she became a quadriplegic. Through physical therapy and stem cell research, she's gotten back the use of her upper body, arms and hands, and is on the way towards her legs. I remember visiting her in the hospital, and instead of seeing sadness and depression, she had the most cheerful and optimistic demeanor. Her hope and strength taught me to be thankful for my health and what I have and to just be happy. If she could, then I definitely could too. It's a good lesson for everyone, I think. It also made me even more solid in my views on stem cell research and gave me hope that with technology, we can restore lives to their original way. 
SO, I hope this post reminded everyone (besides the fact that apparently LA streets are dangerous) to cherish what you have and be happy for who you are. 
Xander, please get better soon. You will always be my #1 gangsta


xoxo Sara


P.S. I promise to do my normal weekly update tomorrow! Sorry for this serious one!

No comments:

Post a Comment