Tuesday, December 20, 2011

Cup of cheer

I can't believe Christmas is already this weekend! I still haven't completed my shopping...
The weather in LA has been so strange this past weekend. On Thursday, I was out shopping at the Americana when it started pouring rain complete with lightening and thunder. Luckily, Seattle has conditioned me not to freak out in the event that I don't have an umbrella in the rain, so I didn't mind getting wet when I had to meet my mom to pick me up. I've gotten stuck at UW enough times without my umbrella going to class, that this was fairly normal for me. 
The next day was the complete opposite weather-wise. I didn't have a car so I walked to Ventura in the warm sunshine. I bought my sister her present (gray gloves) from Urban and picked up molasses from Vons. Upon returning home, I began to make ginger cookies, when I realized that I didn't have any applesauce, so I had to walk to the corner market. On the way there, I saw some cops handcuff a guy on a bicycle which is always exciting. Except I saw him riding his bike down the street when I was walking back so I guess they worked it out? Anyways, the ginger cookies are fabulous! And they're fat free, so I can feel better about eating them, I guess?


Vegan/Fat Free Ginger Cookies  - slightly modified by me
2 1/4 cups flour
1 tsp. baking powder
1/4 tsp. salt
1 1/2 tsp. ground ginger
2 tsp. cinnamon
1/4 tsp. ground cloves
1/2 tsp. ground black pepper
1/2 tsp. fresh ground nutmeg
1/4 tsp. ground allspice
1 cup brown sugar
1/3 cup molasses
1/4 cup apple sauce (or 1/4 cup oil)
1 tsp. vanilla extract
1/4-1/2 tsp. almond extract
1 tbsp. flax seed + 3 tbsp. water stirred till thicker (or 1 egg)
some minced fresh ginger (like 2tbsp.)
- Preheat oven to 350 and line baking sheets with parchment
- Sift dry flour, baking powder, salt, spices and set aside.
- In another bowl, combine brown sugar, molasses, apple sauce, vanilla, almond and mix till smooth. Add flax seed mix and stir. 
- Slowly stir in dry ingredients till incorporated and then stir in fresh ginger. 
- Make dough into balls and roll in cinnamon sugar mixture before putting on the sheet. 
- Bake for 13 minutes. 
They're spicy and warm and perfect with a cup of tea! Also my dog loves them!
On Saturday, the weather teetered back to shitty and it was gray and drizzly all morning and afternoon. Ok, fine, it's not shitty, I actually like this weather in winter. Anyways, it was quite busy on Saturday and I had to bag about 600 tons of fudge for a bunch of huge orders. I eventually ran out of ribbon so I couldn't do it anymore but I continued to make boxes and other fun housekeeping things (not). I also took home 3 dozen cupcakes this week. 1 of the boxes went to my friend Niccolo who promised me a ride in the famers market golf cart he gets to drive. He said we can probably drift in it too, which I'm especially looking forward to. 
During my break from work, I passed the dog adoption people on Ventura and saw the cutest baby Australian shepherd puppy. I want it so bad, look at that coloring! I also got a delicious soy chai latte from Coffee Bean (it might be better than Starbucks!) and I love them because they have sugar free and totally get vain Southern California bitches. 
My sister and I began our yoga classes on Sunday so I'm sore but excited for my next class! The room was totally beautiful, with yellowy walls and this gorgeous door at the back of the room with a view of green plants that looked like it led to Bali. Our teacher was funny too and spent half the class saying "Fuck Sundays" and letting us dance around our mats. We went to Pinkberry afterwards which was sooooo perfect. After showering, we went to the mall to buy presents and got my mom and salad dressing mixer and my dad some French mustard from this place we went in Beaune. 
Yesterday, I got coffee with Audrey and Sasha and hung around Sasha's store on Ventura until I had to go to dance. Since it was our last dance class till next year, 4/6 of us were there, so we did a quick stretch class, got Starbucks and helped take down the Nutcracker decorations. Also, I have to add that parking yesterday was a fucking nightmare because of all the shoppers. I spent a good 15 minutes going around 2 lots until I gave up and parked by CBS. 
Today, parking was just as horrid but thankfully, I didn't have to deal with it because my mom drove and picked me up from work. I wasn't scheduled to work today but my boss asked if I could help out today and tomorrow due to the obscene amount of gift boxes (and cause I could use the funds for Seattle and NY). It was crazy and I took more orders than I'd have liked to but I got to take home a mini pumpkin loaf, which is adorable and yummy. I also went to the hospital to check out Xander's new room since he's moved out of the ICU! He can also talk much better and he has lovely red toenails compliments of Jazzy. 
I also watched Rudolph and Wallace and Grommit this weekend! Such good movies, even though the latter is not Xmas related. 
Tomorrow I really don't feel like going to work because I think I'm coming down with a cold, so I'll see how I feel in the morning. And Lena's coming home also! We've already planned on possibly going hiking and also have a party on Friday. I hope everyone's shopping is going better than mine and that you're all avoiding those crazy crowds and parking lots! And are staying healthy! 
Ah I almost forgot! Happy Hanukkah! I need some matzoh ball soup or some good Jew food. 
Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays to all! 




xoxo Sara

No comments:

Post a Comment