Wednesday, March 14, 2012

T-Minus 1 Day

Katey's arriving tomorrow! I dusted and cleaned some of my room today and will work on the rest + vacuuming tomorrow between classes. 

Last week, both my photo and screenwriting classes were unexpectedly cancelled, leaving me more time to do homework, which I didn't really do. Instead, I watched 50/50: funny and I thought Seth Rogen and Joseph Gordon Levitt were great. 
My mom took my sister and I to Menchies and shopping at Free People last week because it was International Women's Day. I also had a gift card, which I used towards a yellow knit sweater. My sister bought purple embroidered shorts, which I almost chose. 
Also because of the occasion, my sister and her friends had a tea party at school so my dad made her scones.
They're from the Field of Greens cookbook:
Orange Pecan Scones
Zest of 1 orange
3-4 tablespoons fresh orange juice
1/2 cup dried currants
3 cups unbleached white flour
5 tablespoons sugar
1 tablespoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 pound cold, unsalted butter
2/3 cup buttermilk
1 egg
1 tablespoon milk
1/4 cup small pecan pieces; coarsely chopped
Preheat oven to 400. Plump the currants in the orange juice. Sift the dry ingredients together. Cut the butter into small pieces and cut into the dry ingredients using a pastry blender or 2 knives until it resembles coarse meal. Add the currants and the juice. Stir the zest into the buttermilk, add to the dry ingredients, and stir until mixture is moistened. You may need to add a little more buttermilk. Do not over mix. 
Turn the dough onto a floured board and gently form into a round about 1 inch high. Cut the round into 8 wedges and place 1 inch apart on a baking sheet stacked on top of another sheet. (The double pan is necessary to keep the bottoms from browning too quickly). Whisk the egg and milk together and lightly brush the scones with the mixture. Sprinkle the pecans on top. Bake until scones are browned, about 20 minutes. 
I don't like scones but apparently these are really good! Mothers used to fight over them at my elementary school bake sales. 
On Friday, I did some baking of my own and made vegan lemon poppy seed muffins.  I added a teaspoon of almond extract, but they are exactly what the recipe says. I also ran out of flour and had to use half normal and half kosher passover flour but they turned out fine.
Actually I really liked them and so did my dad. He's even passed the recipe on to co-workers. 
We had somen for dinner and I boiled some eggs. One of them cracked when I put it in and grew some weird eggy appendage. 
It was so big that it made the egg float in the water. 
I worked the morning shift on Saturday, so I had to get up at 7 for the first time in a while. But I took home a strawberry cupcake and a strawberry shortcake one! I didn't really try them but my mom said they were good. My sister and I went to yoga and had to practically stand on the wall, which made my shoulders and arms so sore but was fun! My friend, Leah called me later that night and I went to Crave Cafe with her and her boyfriend. She was only in town for the weekend from Berkeley but hopefully I'll see her again when she's back in a few weeks. 
My cousins came over on Sunday and we all went up to the Griffith Observatory. It was a sunny day, slightly smoggy/foggy, and breezy (I should have worn a sweater without holes in it). My cousin, Jojo is doing a project on the Tesla Coil so we immediately went to see that in action. 
Actually really cool. We looked at other space stuff, and I remembered my Space&Space Travels class but unfortunately, not much of the information from it. 
Not a bad view. 
Almost everyone was starving so we decided to leave and get started on dinner because it was 4 by that time. So all 9 of us piled into our ancient Suburban and because nothing normal ever happens to us, the car didn't start. I seriously thought we were going to have to call AAA to get us out of Griffith Park and cause a ton of traffic congestion but after my dad and uncle opened up the hood and played with wires and such (thank god people took shop class back in the day) the car magically started and we were able to get home. 
We practically inhaled the burgers, brats, brussel sprouts and sweet potato fries that we made. And for dessert, I made brownies (actually really good because I put coffee in them, even though my mom thought they were a little too intense) and had fruit + sour cream/brown sugar. 
Also there was this crazy-and by crazy I mean awesome-pickle in a bag that my dad picked up at the market. 
Yesterday, I had to recite my monologue for the class which was frightening at first but after standing on stage for a few minutes, didn't bother me. I ran into AJ and Justin and hung out till their art history class started and picked up my Night and Day entry from last semester. I went to yoga with my sister last night and I know I say this every time, but I actually sweat more than I ever have from this class. Like I was actually soaking wet when I got in the car, it was so disgusting. It was Core Power status (hot yoga) in the sweat department but more fun. As my cousin says of those classes, "You come out with cheekbones". 
We watched the majority of Roman Holiday last night which actually serves as a perfect inspiration and model for my monologue because Luisa and Princess Anne are somewhat similar. And Audrey Hepburn is with a normal aged guy (Gregory Peck is quite studly). 
Today, I got out of my photo class early which normally would make me so happy but I was counting on going almost till 6 because I had an audition at that time for a play at school. I tried out for Mirror Mirror (which the director wasn't even there, so probably no shot) and one director was like, "Actually, I'd like you to read for mine", which was kind of exciting that he liked my reading of the Stepmother enough. So I read the script as fast as I could, but not fast enough, because I stumbled over it a little bit and he cut me off before the last large paragraph. So embarrassing. But I don't care about getting the part, I just liked the experience!
I'm starrrrving because I've been at school all day but hopefully dinner will be ready soon. 
I'm so excited to come home tomorrow and see Katey! There's a possibility of rain, although knowing the accuracy of that, it's questionable (but judging my luck, it might actually happen) so it won't be that warm. I might be really happy for the rain though, so I hope Katey's not disappointed! 
Adios amigos! My next post will include our weekend adventures!
xoxo Sara

No comments:

Post a Comment