Wednesday, August 1, 2012

the Olympics: making you feel fat while you stare at incredibly hot athletes

Is everyone enjoying the Olympics? I'm sorry to all the people reading this who are only looking at Meow or Never to hear about Katey's Parisian adventures. If you DO want to hear about me and LA, then press on. 


So back to the Olympics. Did you like the Opening Ceremony? Personally, I didn't. But I did like the corgis and the iron work on the rings. I made my sister, her friend, Dana, and my mom English tea sandwiches. We had salmon and cream cheese, cucumber and cream cheese, and curried chicken salad. And some PG Tips.
When the athletes came out, I had to leave to go to my friend, Sami's birthday party with Sasha. It was a middle school reunion for me, basically. I saw a ton of old friends and child actors. For example, the kid from Spy Kids. Although, what did I expect when the host is a successful actress herself? After we had enough of young Hollywood, and getting glitter/confetti bombed, we called it a night and went home. 
Thankfully, work on Saturday was semi busy, so I had enough to do and couldn't fall asleep. I helped Selma Blair, who is so cute and short in person, very nice, and has the most adorable baby. And later in the day, my friend Erica came in with her good friend...Rachel Bilson! I'm a big fan of Hart of Dixie and she is totally pretty in person as well. How does she get her hair to be so perfect?! I must learn. 
On Sunday, I woke up and made toffee bars for a family BBQ. It was in honor of my cousin, Katie, who is leaving for the Marines in the end of the August. 
Toffee Bars
1 cup of butter
1 cup brown sugar
1 egg yolk
1 tsp. vanilla
2 cups flour
1/4 tsp. salt
2/3 cup chocolate chips
1/2 cup chopped nuts (I used pecans although you can use whatever you like)
1. Heat oven to 350 degrees. Mix butter, brown sugar, egg yolk, vanilla. Stir in flour and salt. Press in ungreased 13x9x2 pan. 
2. Bake bars 25-30 min or until very light brown. Crust will be soft. (I did 25 and it came out perfectly). Immediately sprinkle chocolate chips on hot crust. Let stand 5 minutes. Spread chocolate evenly. Sprinkle with nuts.
3. Cool bars 30 minutes in pan on wire rack. Cut into roughly 32 pieces. (I put them in the fridge before cutting and it was easier.)


Enjoy! They're seriously amazing.
My dad came home from Alabama on Monday (he was working on a movie about kids at space camp) and I made gazpacho from Gwyneth Patlrow's cookbook.
Today we went to the Getty to see the Klimt show, which was mostly line drawings but still very beautiful. And we also saw the Herb Ritts show, which had some gorgeous photos of Christy Turlington. 


We looked at art and walked around the gardens before heading to Santa Monica. 
For lunch, we went to Border Grill, which is this incredible Mexican restaurant owned by Susan Fenniger and Mary Sue Milliken. My dad and I split avocado tacos and a side of quinoa salad and honey lime sweet potatoes. SO GOOD. I'm going back to try more! After, we went to West Elm and Anna bought a bowl and mug and then to Brandy Melville and bought a tank top to replace this  nasty one from Urban. 
I just finished watching the Olympics and was glad to see the US girls win gold in gymnastics. And mmmm those male swimmers. Did anyone notice the British diving cutie?
Tomorrow I'm going hiking with Lena. After seeing so many six packs and big biceps, I feel like I need to work out and eat healthier. I've got the weekend off from work, hooray! Well, it was a mistake but I get to fill in on Thursday so I'll make some money. And next weekend, I'm not going in because I've got another family BBQ in San Diego, which Chris will hopefully be joining me at! I'm excited to see him! It's been too long. 
I look forward to hearing more about Paris, I'm enjoying reading about Katey's travels so far!


xxx S

1 comment:

  1. It's possible that you will have seen more of Mr. Mori than I have in recent months :) Tell him bonjour!

    ReplyDelete