Wednesday, October 24, 2012

Almost November, whoops

I haven't posted in a while, my bad! I'm sure everyone else is busy though, too, right? Instead of recounting all that's happened in the past month, I'll just mention some highlights or current events. 
My parents left this morning for San Luis Obispo to meet some friends in the spirit of birthday celebrations. Meaning I get the house to myself for the rest of the week! Uhhh let's see, what else is new? 
I baked a honey cake for Rosh Hashanah from this recipe: http://koshercamembert.wordpress.com/2012/09/13/5773/

I accidentally stuck my thumb in it when I took it out of the oven but it tasted good anyways. Try it out, I really liked it! I also halved the recipe to only make one loaf but if you are confident you'll like it, then go for whatever it says. Oh yeah, and I made it vegan by using flax for the eggs. 
I went hiking with my mom in Malibu in search of a waterfall. It was too dry/hot in the seasons so all we found was stagnant water but I plan to go after some rain to truly see it. 
I spent a lot of time working on my mixtape project (scene to Fiona Apple's Criminal), which was performed and my cold read song (The Supreme's You Keep Me Hanging On) which was scary but I also did. Now, I'm working on a scene from Rabbit Hole and a monologue from Oleanna. Later this evening I have my first midterm of the semester! 
I've spent my free time doing yoga, going hiking (when it's cool enough!) and hanging with Audrey, Sasha, and Kara. 
We had a girls night about a month ago complete with wine, strawberries and other little goodies. 
And more recently, Kara celebrated her 21st!
I wanted a picture with Jack of course. 
The weather has been fluctuating from pants/sweater normal Fall behavior to breezy 80's. It almost rained last week but for the most part, it's been quite sunny and lovely. 
This was on the way to school a couple weeks ago. 
Ah, I almost forgot! My dad made a vegan pumpkin pie that was to die for. So amazing and pretty simple, apparently. 
It's from the book, Vegan Pie in the Sky by Isa Chandra Moskowitz & Terry Hope Romero
I fully recommend this book, there are so many delicious sounding desserts that I haven't tried yet! In March, my dad made a berry pie from it and Katey can confirm that it was a winner!
The crust is probably the hardest part because you have to freeze the olive oil but even that can be done with relative ease. The recipe is enough for one 9 inch top and bottom but we clearly only made the bottom. 

Olive Oil Double Crust
2 1/2 cups all purpose flour
3/4 tsp. salt
2/3 cup olive oil, partially frozen
4-8 tbsp. ice water
1 tbsp. apple cider vinegar
1. About an hour before beginning the recipe, place the olive oil in a plastic container. For best results, use a thin, light container. Freeze oil till it's opaque and congealed but still somewhat soft (like melted sorbet). If it's over frozen, that's fine, just thaw it for a bit. 
2. Sift flour and salt. Working quickly, add olive oil by tbsp., cutting it into flour with your fingers or a pastry cutter, until flour appears pebbly. 
3. In a cup, mix 4 tbsp. ice water and apple cider vinegar. Drizzle 2 tbsp. of mixture into doubt and stir. Add more water, 1 tbsp. at a time, till dough holds together to form soft ball. Don't over knead.
4. Divide dough in 2. Press each half into a disk about an inch thick and place each disk between 2 14 inch long pieces of waxed paper. Using a rolling pin, roll each piece into a circle about 1/4 inch thick. Refrigerate till ready to use. 
And now for the filling!
Pumpkin Pie
3 cups pumpkin puree
1/2 cup maple syrup
1/2 cup plain unsweetened soy milk (we used sweetened almond or soy but I think anything, including dairy, will work as well)
4 tsp. canola oil
1 tsp. ground cinnamon
1 tsp. ground ginger
1/4 tsp. ground nutmeg
pinch of ground cloves
1/2 tsp. salt
2 tbsp. cornstarch
1 tsp. agar powder
1. Preheat oven to 350. In a blender, pulse pumpkin, maple, milk, oil, cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg, cloves, salt, cornstarch, and agar till smooth. Pour filling in pie shell.
2. Bake the pie for 60-65 min, till center looks semi firm, not liquidy.
3. Remove the pie from the oven and transfer to a cooling rack for 30 min, then chill at least 4 hours before slicing. 
Make it and enjoy! I'm thinking of asking for that instead of a birthday cake!
I can't believe Halloween is already here! It seems like not that long ago Katey and I were exploring pumpkin patches and dressing up as Ke$ha and Britney. This year I'm going as Suzy Bishop from Moonrise Kingdom and I'm very happy with my costume! I'll post a picture afterwards. 
And not too long after Halloween I'll be in Seattle!! I can't wait to see everyone and smell the fresh air! And finally wear a freaking scarf!
Happy Halloween, Happy Fall, I hope everyone is enjoying the pumpkin season!

xx S

No comments:

Post a Comment